Friday, December 09, 2005

China Dolls

Yesterday and today people received their referrals if they were logged in for April 2005. The amazing thing about these babies is that many were only 6 months old, which is unheard of. They say for every orphanage they do adoptions with, there are 50 they don't. I think they are trying to bring adoption to these other facilities one at a time. The result is VERY YOUNG babies; all of whom were precious. I enjoy following the journey people are taking and hopefully it will prepare me better when my time comes. I've been thinking about the strong female role models I have been lucky enough to have over the years. I consider my own mother among them but also my friend Dawn who is an amazing mommy , a former colleague who has a non-traditional family (but a great one) and my former boss Jeanne who is a single parent (and powerhouse). If I really think about it, there are so many who have given me a little knowledge that has helped me make this ultimate decision. I have also thought of the two friends I lost these past few years. Eileen was a good mother but never really had the chance to parent her son in the manner which she wanted. She died knowing he was happy and safe but he may very well never know how much she loved him and sacrificed for him. My dear friend Shannon died three years ago today in his sleep. I still miss him and think of him often. He was my Will and I was his Grace and he loved children so much. He had dreams of becoming a foster parent but he never got to fulfill that dream and left many shattered lived behind at the age of 41. I am always aware of his presence around me and hopefully he will be with me in spirit during this journey. I am nearing the last part of my paper chase and hope to have all my documents notarized in the next week or so. Once that's done I just wait for my various clearances. Til next time.....