Monday, April 21, 2008

A Woman and a Mother?

Back when I posted about my referral I made a reference to signs.  I am usually not one to put a lot of faith in that sort of thing but I had a very strange feeling a few days ago and couldn't figure it out and when I finally realized it I got the chills.  In a Jewish child's life their Bar or Bat Mitzvah signifies their transition into adulthood.  I was raised in a very reform household but my mother really wanted me to have a Jewish upbringing that included all the significant life events and celebrations.  For a variety of reasons that aren't appropriate to address here it was postponed and as a result mine was a little later than what is typical by a little less than a year.  It was held on Purim which was considered an honor.  It is not typical for a woman to hold a Torah but because of the significance of the double celebration I was asked to not only hold it but carry it through the sanctuary to signify becoming a Jewish woman.  My Bat Mitzvah was March 18th, 1984.  My LOI was sent to China on March 18th.  Enough said.

6 comments:

Cari said...

weird!!
C

kitchu said...

goose bumps!

D & S said...

Wow...sometimes, things are just meant to be.

Mamacita said...

Oooooh. That's good.

Hey. Any news?

RamblingMother said...

very neat and a connection to share with your daughter. OOH I can't wait until you travel but I suppose I can wait better than you huh?

Beth and Shayna said...

So cool! I was just chatting with someone (moments ago) about my bat mitzvah date. Crazy.