Saturday, June 28, 2008

The Royal Bath

Her majesty had her first bath (with me anyway). I spent the afternoon showing her a photo of her as a baby in the tub and she giggled. I filled her bath with bubbles and some sea animals and she ran back and forth but wasn't having any part of this nonsense. I finally just stripped her and put her in and gave her a 5 minute special; hair and all. She wasn't happy but it's over. Now she will hopefully stop scratching her tushy (which is very cute). After she was done I taught her how to brush her teeth and she did them and then let me do them. This morning we successfully ate at the restaurant buffet in the hotel with another couple and their daughter who is close in age. Emme loves banana yogurt which is good since she hadn't been given any milk or formula in over a year. I want to increase her calcium intake but not go nuts with the milk while in China. I think the mostly carb diet gives her highs and lows in the day which is why she is always hungry. I went to 7-11 and picked up some yogurt and fruit for the room so she has a snack in the AM and the PM. She is a real stinker though. She won't walk but when I left to get lunch she put her brown bear in the stroller and took him down the hall. She puts the bib on brown bear too but won't wear it herself. Today we had the obligatory police station photo and boy was ours a doozy. She was not fond of that OR the medical but she passed with flying colors and her ears are A-OK. I was able to go out for 2 hours to complete all the paperwork for the consulate which was good. So we're doing better in some ways but still having challenges. Tomorrow we are venturing to the pearl market but it's close enough we can cab it back if she isn't digging the scene. I would like to get her a strand of pearls to have when she is older. She likes reading the travel book in the night table and is particularly fond of David Yurman. I did promise her cash and pearls if she cooperates tomorrow. Goodnight from the White Swan

11 comments:

HuluMama said...

Sounds like things are improving! So glad for you. Sending good vibes for a happy, and successful, shopping trip tomorrow!

Lisa said...

Peyton wasn't into shopping when we were in China...so, we will be doing most of our souvenir shopping (including the pearls) will be done on the next trip. Just keep that in mind if she doesn't cooperate - it's just a good excuse to hurry back to China.

Lisa

Jen & Bill said...

it sounds like things are improving. we pocketed yogurt, hard boiled eggs and crackers from the white swan for ricky to eat for snack.

Anonymous said...

Things are improving. Baby steps baby.

Doreen said...

slowly but surely. The closer you get to home, the calmer she'll get. Don't forget, you are now her constant in her life. The trust seems to be building, CONGRATS and ENJOY (if you can!)

Doreen in Montreal

Kim said...

OH I LOVE the pearl market! I hope you get this message before you go!

If you go to the center of the bottom floor where there is a clearing and put your back to the door, you can look to your left and see a hole in the wall store about 15 X 15. They will have deep shelves and their pearls are in big zip lock bags. You can choose the strands you want and they are only 40something yuan each for the ovals! The rounds were 90 yuan, the store next door wanted 100USD for the same strand. Bring them home to string yourself. Also near the center, you will see a free standing booth and they have turquoise! I want to say I paid $7US a strand. They have all cuts and colors, it is really pretty, I wish I had gotten more than 3 strands. Down one of the little hallways I got strands of little glass beads for $1US. It is so much fun, I hope you find lots of stuff you like :)

kitchu said...

Did you promise her in Chinese or English? :O) Hope the pearl market is a good outing for you both.

I bet you have killer biceps by now.

Samantha said...

Wishing you all the best! Good luck tomorrow!

Cavatica said...

I echo Kris, I bet you're strong... and aching. I remember constant back pain in China and the woman who kept me in Aleve (I didn't bring any).

Ah, the pearl market. I'm kicking myself that I didn't get earrings. I got lots of strings of black and whites, though. I love pearls! Wait until you see the mall!!!

Juliette said...

I got some pearls for Maƫlle too while in China, and jade. Wished I brought more.
Seems things are improving...very glad for you and still sending good vibes your way.

Debby said...

Sounds like things are improving. Don't forget to buy yourself something special from the pearl market as well.

baby steps...I think it's cute that she is "nuturing" her little bear.

Regards,
Debby