Thursday, May 29, 2008

Oh the Drama

So my travel dates were confirmed today. I get the invoice from the travel agent and it's HIGH in terms of the baby's seat coming home. Much more than I expected. I decided to look it up myself but had to leave to meet with the IA pediatrician for my "travel prep". So I grab the email I had received just prior and left. I read it post appointment and had to take a few deep breaths. Here are my options: 1) Get Emme in the capital of her province. Bear in mind it's a 12 hour trip and she didn't do too well the first time. It's closer to the devastation of the earthquake and she will be sad to leave all her friends at the center. 2) I can pick her up in Beijing and pay the expenses for both the representative from her province AND her center to travel. 3) I can pick her up at her center (plane and train for me) and pay the travel costs for the representative from her province. Everything points to choice #3 if it's not outrageous. I don't want her to be traumatized twice or either of us travel near the earthquake devastation. I have also proposed to my agency that if choice #1 works that I would like to volunteer at the center for a few days while getting to know her so it's less traumatic for her and I get to do something good for the children. Since everyone else in my travel group will be getting their own children elsewhere it wouldn't be any additional time. In the end it's costing me more anyway so what's a little more in her best interest. Thoughts?

5 comments:

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

I personally like the sound of #1... though where are you going to stay if you do choose that one? What a great opportunity though to see Emmy in her elements etc I am sure whatever you choose will be the right thing... take care

Lisa M. said...

Being able to volunteer in her center would be very cool. It could make for a smooth transition, will your agency be down with that?

YOU'RE GOING TO CHINA. YEAHHHHH!

Amylou said...

I think being able to volunteer would be a wonderful idea! Geez Lisa, I can't believe how long of a wait this has been for you. I'm so happy for you.

canyon401 said...

I think it would be very hard to bond and volunteer at the same time unless you are doing something that doesn't involve other kids. I did not hold another child in Margot's presence for at least a year. It was too tough on her when I did so I quit and it helped. just a thought though. In principle, I like the idea of being there. I just don't know that it will actually help with the transition. I don't envy you having this choice.
Beth

kris said...

Yeah, option one and volunteering sounds way cool. What's the damage? I'm terrified of this damage. What with gas and all, I'm sure the cost of flying has sky rocketed.